Today’s tag was created by Laura at Laura’s Book Review, and we found it on The Book Nut. Let’s get into the questions!
1. What are your top 3 book pet peeves?
Katie – Mine are all pretty trivial and super picky, but I hate it when book covers don’t match or when hardcovers don’t have dust jackets. I also hate when any damage is done to a book, like writing, page folding, spine breaking, etc. I feel like the damage is actually being done to me.
Ashley – 1) I hate when books are different sizes (heights) (shout out to The Iron Warrior for being the last, and shortest, book in the Iron Fey series). *eye roll*
2) I don’t like covers that don’t match or don’t go well together.
3) I hate ripped, bent, or creased dust jackets. It breaks my heart. I will always search through the books at the bookstore to get the best-looking dust jacket.
2. Describe your perfect reading spot.
Katie – I have the coziest chair in my reading room with my blankets and pillows, I can’t read anywhere else comfortably.
Ashley – I can read anywhere. But I usually like to read in bed or sitting at the kitchen counter. Two completely different reading spots, but my faves nonetheless.
3. Tell us 3 book confessions.
Katie – 1. I sometimes read aloud the dialogue if I’m really into a book.
2. I have a tendency to spoil things for myself by glancing through parts of the book before I get to them.
3. When parts get super intense or a lot of action is happening, my brain reads in hyper-speed mode, and I end up having to go back and reread to actually know what happened. Whoops.
Ashley – 1) I, too, will read aloud if I’m alone. But I think that’s just the part of me that always wanted to be an actress. So if I enjoy the character enough, then I think it’s fun to be the character.
2) I never finish the most recent book in a series, no matter how much I love it. I’m obsessed with Victoria Schwab, but have I finished A Conjuring of Light or Our Dark Duet? Nope. I’m equally obsessed with Cassandra Clare, but you better believe I haven’t finished Lord of Shadows. Let’s not forget the fact that I read the Raven Cycle forever ago but have yet to pick up The Raven King. Yeah, I suck.
3) I always go into books knowing absolutely nothing about them. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been shocked by something and Katie has to point out that it’s literally stated in the synopsis of the book.
4. When was the last time you cried while reading?
Katie – Probably when I read Words in Deep Blue by Cath Crowley. That was March of 2017, so clearly I don’t cry a lot while reading.
Ashley – I cried so hard last month when I read Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan. I cry pretty easily, but it’s usually only when I read contemporary books, which is so rare. I’m pretty sure the time before that was when I read Me Before You, and that was way before the movie came out, so it’s been a while.
5. How many books are on your bedside table?
Katie – I don’t keep books by my bed because I never read in there. All of my books stay in my apartment’s second bedroom, aka my reading/bookshelf room.
Ashley – Usually one or two. It depends how many I’m in the middle of, which is technically like three right now.
6. What is your favorite snack while you’re reading?
Katie – Either popcorn or sunflower seeds, I typically need something for my mouth/hands to do so I can concentrate better.
Ashley – I do not snack while reading. I find it distracting since I can only concentrate on food when it’s in front of me. I do, however, love to have a cup of mint green tea while I read.
7. Name 3 books you’d recommend to everyone.
Katie – Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor, Caraval by Stephanie Garber, and The Cruel Prince by Holly Black. All of them are killer.
Ashley – 1) Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan. It’s super relevant and just hella important if you want to be less ignorant to the LGBT community.
2) Caraval by Stephanie Garber, which I do literally recommend to everyone and basically jump for joy when someone buys it at the bookstore.
3) A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab. She’s such an intentional and intelligent writer, and her talent shines in this series. Not to mention Lila Bard is a badass and I love her.
8. Describe how much books mean to you in 5 words or less.
Katie – My life revolves around books.
Ashley – Ditto Katie’s, because it’s true.
9. What is your biggest reading secret?
Katie – I haven’t finished/started many super popular series. For instance, all of Cassandra Clare’s books, the Grisha trilogy, Throne of Glass, A Darker Shade of Magic trilogy, The Raven Boys. I could go on and on.
Ashley – I went like 8 years having never read Deathly Hallows. I’m pretty sure I finally finished in 2013. Even now I’ve never physically read it, I’ve only listened to the audiobook like a million times.
10. And finally, show us your shelves!
Katie – It’s hard to fit them all in, so this is the best I could do!
Feel free to answer the questions below or tag us in your post!